Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The return of the Salsify blogthread

I was sitting in the kitchen in Cold Aston having a coffee when I thought "I know what, I'll find out how to cook salsify".

I am probably breaking the rules of the international taste society by posting a recipie that I haven't actually cooked yet, but perhaps Matt could give the following a try and let us know what he thinks.

I was somewhat disappointed to find that Alan Davidson has nothing on this unusual root vegetable, but Jane Grigson came to the rescue.

Her "Vegetable Book" gives 11recipies for Salisify and its close Italian cousin, Scorzonera. The simplest is "salsify salad".

Top and tail the roots , then rub under the cold tap and scrub away any soil with a small scrubbing brush.

Cook whole in salted water for half an hour so that they are tender, but not mushy.

Run the cooked salsify under a cold tap so that you can peel the skin off without burning your fingers

(Note that some cooks peel the salsify before cooking, but Grigson claims that to cook then skin-on helps to retain the flavour).

Whilst still warm, peel the root and cut into 3cm pieces. Put them in a good oil vinaigrette with plenty of chopped parsley and chives or spring onion.

Leave to cool before serving.

I would serve the salsify salad with some cold meats, but a vegetarian might prefer to mix the root into a larger salad with some cooked potato, artichoke hearts, chopped parsley and a couple of hard-boiled eggs (Salade Montermeil").

4 comments:

  1. Why would any one go to this much trouble to eat salsify?? It sounds revolting. I only bother doing this sort of thing to summer veg eg. courgettes. In winter, I don't wnat to make vegetables into salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Mum on this one: having bought some more salsify and cooked it in this method, I wished I had just taken the easy and cheaper option of boiling some celeriac and coating it in snot. The slimy texture of salsify just didn't do it for me. It did taste a bit fishy, though, so I can understand the alternative name 'oyster plant'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celeriac has got to be one of the most delicious winter vegetables. I like it as a puree with a little apple added for extra bite; great with roast pork, sausages or goose. Also makes a wonderful soup. I saw a recipe for a salad yesterday: celeric cut into fine matchsticks and mixed with mayo and grainy mustard - remoulade possibly? I know it has a posh name any way. Sounds quite tasty and I might break my rule of not making winter veg into salads for this one. What exciting things do vegetarians do with celeriac i wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, celeriac, the ugly duckling of the root vegetables, but what a versatile little tuber. So comforting when cooked, and so zingy when raw and chopped up fine to be tossed with a little lemon juice, olive oil and plenty of black pepper. What I have also done a few times recently is chop it into matchsticks and mixed it with chopped black olives, toasted walnuts, fresh mint and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and pomegranate molasses (for that typical lebanese touch).
    It looks like this is turning into the root vegetable blogthread...

    ReplyDelete