Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Stealing from friends and fruity tarts

I've been doing quite lot of eating recently and really trying to eat what's in season. So: I found some Seville oranges in a local grocerand made a really tangy tart. Bake blind a sweet shortcrust pastry case (I add a tablespoon of caster sugar to the usual flour and butter, and bind with a beaten egg). Whisk 2 eggs with 2 egg yolks and add to 7 fl ozcream and 7fl oz milk, 2 tablespoons sugar. Add juice and zest of 2 Seville oranges and 1 lemon. Pour into the pastry case and cook atabout 350 for 40minutes;best if it's slightly under done and a bit wobbly when it comes out of the oven. Good eaten warm with a generous dollop of creme fraiche. Tamsin Day Lewis also has a good and slightly different recipe in 'The Art of the Tart'- check it out.

Another tart made for parents in law for a weekend lunch: lovely old fashioned custard tart. Pastry case as above. Whisk together same quantities of eggs, sugar, milk and cream. Pour into case and top with a sprinkle of nutmeg.Bake 350 40 minutes. I served this with some beautiful pink early rhubarb cooked with thejuice and zest of an orange (and cream of course).

A great salad I pinched off Sally Morris (who must be one of the best cooks in the Cotswolds...): leaves of your choice tossed lightly with an oil and lemon dressing; top with sliced pear (doesn't matter too much if a bit crunchy), blue cheese and toasted pecans. Totally delicious and so simple.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I'm so envious of your early rhubarb (not from Cold Aston, though, I assume), I tried to find some at the market today, but I guess since the snow has only just melted it was a bit optimistic.

    The colour of that orange tart must have been gorgeous, and flecked with the darker orange of the zest, too. There may well be some Italian bio-dynamic oranges left over from the Öpfelchasper baskets on Monday, so I'll be able to give it a try, too.

    I love the easy simplicity of your posts, by the way, especially the way you have two tarts in one here. It should be pointed out, though, that you gave the oven temperature in fahrenheit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I made the orange tart on Thursday and... it was a bit of a disaster. It was going to be a beautiful pinky colour because of the blood oranges I used instead of the sevilles, which I haven't been able to find here.
    I think perhaps because of the order I mixed the filling together (juice and cream, then eggs. woops) it curdled and seperated, so I was left with a tart swimming in juice, with pink scrambled eggs floating in it. It tasted ok, though...

    ReplyDelete